Saturday, January 17, 2009

Beach rocks....

Beautiful kelp floating on the surface of the ocean caught my eye as I took my morning walk out the Goleta pier.
This group of brave swimmers are getting ready to swim out to an anchored sailboat. In the distance is UCSB and Campus Point, a surfing spot. When it's low tide I like to walk all the way to the point. My oldest brother and I both went to college there and lately I've been trying to connect with that young art student...who was she...and what did she want to do with her life..??? I can still see myself going to evening art labs in the Printmaking dept. and getting all inky, soaking paper to print on....I loved making etchings because I got to draw...but the chemicals were pretty toxic and after school I let that go and got more interested in fiber art-weaving and quilting and clothing design, which I love to this day.
Under the Goleta pier....
What are these rocks saying to one another? Sometimes I find rocks that look like faces...here are a few, just for fun. I thought it would be fun to have a set of cards that had the rocks saying funny things to each other....I probably won't get to that...but I still can't resist picking up these funny guys.
And more heart rocks! Even found a cement one!
And just some more odd shells and rocks from my beach walk yesterday.....more fiber art soon!

3 comments:

Morna Crites-Moore said...

I love that first photo - it is gorgeous.

And how much do I want to be able to walk out my door and down to the beach? I did tell you we lived in Los Gatos for ten years - right? Back then I pissed and moaned because we didn't have AUTUMN and No Snow for Winter. As the old Native American saying goes: Ah wah ta nah siam.

...Lupen... said...

beautiful beach finds and the kelp too !!!

Anonymous said...

Another person who sees faces, etc. in rocks. I live in the Ozarks so we have tons of rocks in your area. Thanks for the smile!