Monday, May 16, 2011

New owls

 These three spotted owls are my latest creations. Sorry to have been away for so long, but I have been having some major computer issues. We were up in Berkeley for the weekend and somehow it seems the ole computer has healed itself, at least for the time being. So I thought I's better get a post in quickly in case things go astray again.
I got the last space in the Santa Barbara 4th of July Art show and sale and have sprung into action! Making some new pins, elephants, cats, owls, rabbits and cupcakes for starters. If you are in the area I hope you will come by and visit. Syd, Shelly and I will be there as well as lots of other local artists. Should be a fun day.

 I picked these elderflowers on my walk today. My son wants some of those elderflower fritters that I made a few weeks ago so these may get eaten soon. I bought the fun ceramic cup in Kyoto, Japan at a dollar store when my boys and I visited my brother who does research near Tokyo every year. He had a house for us to stay in and taught us how to manage the rail system and where all the cool stops are. We then spent a week with our rail pass and traveled all around Japan on our own. We got to see the Giant Buddha, the Hiroshima Peace memorial, the worlds fair and sample lots of delicious new dishes. The boys had a great time and want to go back someday.

 A few photos of the fun Katie Kendrick workshop at Gina Armfield's Malibu retreat. We all had a great time drawing, painting and playing with some new techniques. Here is Katie doing one of her demos for us.

 One of our first exercises was to make a banner page of intention and to loosen us up..I loved this "fly" one made by Minnie. We all picked different words and then hung them up together across the room.

 We then created a bunch of background pages to work on later. Also some fun doodling with sticks, pencils, and chopsticks.

I'm not finished with this yet, but here is what I painted at the workshop...
"A girl and her Owl"...

9 comments:

Yael said...

I LOVE those owls Mary! And I am sure the fritters were delicious!
Have a lovely day!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the owls!! Adorable!

Mary Stanley said...

Thanks so much for your comments!
Always appreciated!

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

I love your new painting!

Cynthia Nicole said...

Wonderful owls!
What are they stuffed with, I wonder?

Tara's Art Camp said...

Your owls look so cute in a group.

Glad your computer is working,,,,temporarily...

xo...

Pixie said...

I am absolutly in love with your owls, they are just so heart warming, in fact i think all your little creations are sublime.
Pixie

Hazel Terry said...

Love your textile owls and this painting.

charlotte said...

Love Girl and her Owl, Mary!!! missin ya! xoxo