Monday, June 14, 2010

Calistoga vacation

We took a quick vacation up to Calistoga, one of our favorite destinations in No. California.
I managed to get in a little shopping and couldn't resist this pillow.

I also bought these two books. Love the birds in Jeffery Fisher's book and am enjoying reading Roger Deakin's book "Wildwood".

This fun mosaic bowl is in the Calistoga Roastery and is reminding me that I want to do some mosaic work this summer. I want to find a simple cement bird bath to cover with broken tile and plates and cups and give the local birds a place to splash in on the hot summer days.

A few photos of Saturday in Calistoga.....

baskets for sale at the Farmers Market....

local musicians under the redwoods....

bright pottery...

fresh flowers...and there were lots of berries and local produce and baked goods as well.

A small creek runs through town...a good place to cool your toes.
We got to visit with friends, Susan and John and have a great meal at "Checkers", one of our favorite places. The boys took a hike up to Table Top mountain and got sunburned but had a good time while I browsed the bookstores. We are happy to be back home and glad our garden survived and the cats seem happy to have us back.

3 comments:

Marie said...

What a fun trip. I always enjoy "seeing" your adventures and you always go to the coolest places!
Love the idea of a mosaic birdbath.
:)

Dot said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Love the photo's Mary! And I look forward to seeing the mosaic bird bath when you make it. I am sure it will be beautiful.
Dot xx

Dori Patrick said...

Gorgeous photos! Welcome back! I'm crazy about the pottery!!! Are those heart shaped bowls I see? Oh my!